As we move into the holiday season, we want to remind neighbors of some safety tips for ourselves, our homes, and our packages. We’ve seen an uptick of incidents throughout the Northside of the City, and want to make sure that neighbors take the proper precautions moving into the holidays.
- If you’re not going to be home when a package is set to be delivered, either utilize the ‘Hold for Pick-up’ option for USPS, an Amazon locker or ask a neighbor to grab your package until you arrive home. Track your packages
- Leaving town for the holidays? Utilize the ‘Hold Mail services’ at USPS.com or Amazon locker feature for packages being shipped to your home.
- Delivery Instructions: upon ordering, request that packages be dropped off in concealed locations (EX: behind a planter on your stoop).
HOME AND VEHICLE SAFETY
- Leave lights on: create an ‘occupied appearance’ by leaving various lights on.
- Check locks: double-check that locks on your front and back doors are secured on your home and vehicle.
- House numbers: make sure that address numbers for your home are visible from the street.
- Packages in Vehicles: don’t leave packages visible in your vehicle, place any valuables in hidden areas of your car.
- Safety in numbers: if you’re going to be walking around late at night, walk with friends or family.
- Be Alert: always be alert while walking, stay off your phone, lower the volume on your headphones, and keep your belongings close to your body.
- Don’t use shortcuts: use main pathways, and try not to cut through alleyways and walkways, especially those without bright lighting.